The prayers of Paul are not meant to just be studied; they are meant to be prayed for and appropriated into our spiritual lives so that we can bear worthy fruits like the Apostle did. In 1 Corinthians 11:1 Paul the apostle enjoined that we should be followers of him even as he is a follower of Christ.
‘1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ’(1 Corinthians 11:1)
What a weighty commandment from a mere mortal like us, someone would have said. But a careful examination of the life of Paul reveals a man worthy of spiritual pattern and emulation in all ramifications! And one of such ramifications of his life worthy of emulation is that of his prayer life, his life of ceaseless and endless intercession! To be like Paul we must pray like Paul for when we pray like Paul we will obtain results like Paul!
This reminds me of my first pastorate in Abonnema, Rivers State, Nigeria, West Africa where I read of Kenneth Hagin’s account of where he decided to pray Ephesians 1:15-20 for six months, specifically the portion that he prayed was for the Spirit of revelation and understanding. I followed that example and I pray that prayer not just for six months, but all my life it has been a daily spiritual intercession and meditation for me. Today I see that prayer answered over and over again as God reveals knowledge and understanding by the day! Each time I have open the word the word has opened to me in revelations and understanding! There are lots of Paul’s prayers to pray and in this article, I have compiled some and listed others for us to use in our daily lives. Enjoy the blessings of praying these prayers as I have enjoyed over the years!
- PRAYER FOR GODLY LIVING – ‘7 now I pray to God that ye do no evil; not that we should appear approved, but that ye should do that which is honest, though we be as reprobates….for we are glad, when we are weak, and ye are strong: and this also we wish, even your perfection. ’ (2 Corinthians 13:7,9). ‘9 And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment; 10 That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ; 11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.’(Philippians 1:9-11). Other prayers for godly living, Colossians 1:9-10, 1 Thessalonians 3:12-13, 1 Thessalonians 5:23, 2 Thessalonians 1:11, 1 Timothy 2:1
- PRAYER FOR MINISTRY OPPORTUNITIES – ‘Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints. 19 And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel’ (Ephesians 6:18-19). Other prayers Romans 1:9-11, Romans 15:30-31, Colossians 1:10, 1 Thessalonians 3:10, 2 Thessalonians 1:11, 2 Thessalonians 3:1, Philemon 1:6
- FOR STRENGTHENING – ‘16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; 17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love’(Ephesians 3:16-17) Other scriptures for strength Colossians 1:10-11, 1 Thessalonians 3:13, 2 Thessalonians 2:16
- FOR INCREASED KNOWLEDGE – ‘17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: 18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints’(Ephesians 1:17-18). ‘9 For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; 10 That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God’(Colossians 1:9-10). Other scriptures for knowledge Philippians 1:9-10, Colossians 1:9, Ephesians 1:19
- FOR MORE LOVE AND UNITY – ‘9 And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment; 10 That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ’(Philippians 1:9-10). ‘5 Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus: 6 That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ’. (Romans 15:5-6). Other scriptures 1 Thessalonians 3:12, 2 Thessalonians 3:5
- FOR GRACE AND PEACE – ‘3 Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ’ (1 Corinthians 1:3). ‘16 now the Lord of peace himself give you peace always by all means. The Lord be with you all’ (2 Thessalonians 3:16). Other scriptures on grace and peace: Galatians 1:3, Galatians 6:18, Ephesains 1:2, Ephesians 6:23-24, Philippians 1:2, 2 Timothy 1:2.
- FOR MORE HOPE – ‘13 Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost’(Romans 15:13)
- FOR THE FULLNESS OF GOD – ‘14 For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15 Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, 16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; 17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; 19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God’(Ephesians 3:14-19)